News & Events  I  Stories and Members I Pictures and Fun Stuff

Monday, April 14, 2008

Devin Hilty

Name: Devin Hilty
Major: Mechanical Engineering

Year: 5th


What do I do on the team?
This year, I was the captain of the team. That means I organized most of the stuff that happens on the team. I also played a role in the design of the car which is pretty friggen sweet by the way. Hopefully I can get some pictures of some of the stuff up here soon.

Random Story:

Alight, so two years ago, I was out at the shop cutting out suspension tabs with the plasma cutter. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's like a big electron torch that cuts through really thick steel (by melting it). There may be a picture of it below. Anyhow, all of a sudden, I smelled something burning and my leg got hot. I didn't think anything of it at the time, so I kept cutting. That is, until I saw an orange glow out of the corner of my eye. It was a giant flame coming from my leg. MY PANTS WERE ON FIRE. So I started freeking out, and batting at it. This did nothing. Finally, I grabbed a rag near by and put out my leg with it. My leg was out, but the rag was now on fire. So I started stomping on the rag to put it out.


About this time, the director of the research facility (C.A.R.), Professor Rizzoni, and our faculty advisor, Dennis Guenther, walk in to see me stomping on this rag with a smoldering, half burned away pair of pants. This is the first time I met either of them, and they are intimidating guys. So I didn't want them to know I just caught myself on fire. Anyhow, they both come up to talk to me, not realizing that I just put out my pants. Guenther kept asking what the burning smell was. I blamed it on the Formula race team. How they did not see that one of my pant legs was smoldering and partially missing is beyond me, but the whole experience scared the hell out of me.

I have since burned and destroyed more of my clothes, but I try to do it when I know that nobody is going to be around.

So that's my story.

No comments: